Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Old/New Tools

Old/New Tools - Mom's old tools are now my new tools.

I was at Mom's for Christmas and was surprised I found her knitting basket in the bathroom closet.  She told me she could no longer handle it because of her arthritis.  So she gave it all to me!  What was inside was some yarn, one skein of Caron Simply Soft in the wine country colorway,  two skeins of Red Heart Super Saver in the light blue colorway and two in gold.  Two balls of Lion Brand Fun Fur, one of which was red with no label, the other was labeled lavender.  She had printed a pattern for the Double the Fun scarf calling for these skeins, so I will try to make it for her.

Also in this knitting basket were several 1960s era books and patterns.  It is so interesting to see the prices and store names 50 some years later.  Stores like Woolworth and Woolco, pattern books by Coats & Clark, American Thread and McCall's, 35 page booklets for 35 cents.  Time marches on, and although the colors used are from the 1960s and 1970s, the pattern itself is classic.  Use today's colors and you still have a gorgeous item.

She also gave me several sets of straight knitting needles, both long and short, with a felt needle case, cable and stitch holders, crochet hooks, pattern reading metal board, point protectors, everything you need to get started.  YouTube is my friend.  There are tons of videos showing techniques and stitches.  I did do a bit of practicing before I left up there.  Feeling very awkward and uncertain with my swatch.  Mom said it "looked OK, you just need to practice".  I may try some dishcloths for short, instant gratification, learning pieces. Any first project suggestions?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. They will appear once moderation is complete.