Monday, June 10, 2013

The wonders of the corn bag

Corn Bag with Cover
Several years ago I had the unfortunate experience of a fall. It happened so suddenly and completely unexpected.  What a shock to my system!   Thankfully I was not seriously injured, but I did need hot and cold compresses on my elbow and knees for a few days.  



I had read at one time that a bag of frozen vegetables, such as peas or corn, work well in a pinch for an ice pack.  It is quicker and easier to maneuver than ice cubes in a plastic bag and towel.  Well, I found a better solution.  Corn bags.  Like rice bags, they mold around the body part, are ready to go at a moments notice, and don't drip! :)  They hold the heat longer than rice too.


Removable Cover
I made mine with cotton muslin and whole feed corn.  The cotton pouch measures approximately 8” by 10”.  I didn't like the look of just plain muslin, so I made a removable cover out of pretty cotton prints.  This is a really good idea, because you don't want to get the corn wet by trying to wash the fabric.  

Another improvement was to add some batting to one side of the cover and quilt it in place.  This will reduce the intensity of the heat or cold on one side.  Want more heat, just flip it over.  I keep a couple of bags, without the cover, in the freezer, and several near the microwave.


Quilted Front

Since I fell, I've made many bags, in many sizes.  They make great gifts and have so many uses. In winter, microwave one before leaving the office and keep warm while waiting on the car heater. Throw one under the bed covers and reduce the shock of cold sheets on your feet. In summer, the moist heat will ease those aching weekend warrior muscles. I've put one in the bread basket to keep the rolls warm on the table.  The cold ones work wonders for hot flashes or a summer relief from the heat.  Kids love them as boo-boo bags.  I'm sure you can come up with many more uses.  Let me know your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. They will appear once moderation is complete.